These instructions are for people who make monoprints with an etching press. You get much better results by printing intaglio, however I may need to do some home printing:
- keep the ink thin (roll it out lightly, or take a light impression to remove any excess before you do the final print)
- use oil based inks (water based dry too quickly for me) – I prefer water based inks as I do not like using paraffin to clean up.
- try building up layers with translucent inks (using extender to make them translucent)
- use lots of different implements to make different marks
- Use brushes to create marks and textures in the ink once it is rolled out or sharp instruments.
- Use acetate shapes as masks rather than paper, it is stronger and lasts many prints